It’s taken time, but fats are finally getting the positive attention that they deserve – healthy fats that is! With so much focus on bad fats, such as the ones found in fast food or processed foods, healthy fats that are actually beneficial to our bodies have been pushed to the side. Thankfully that trend has given way to the truth – not all fats are bad for you!
- Vitamins C, E, K, and B-6, as well as riboflavin, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium and potassium
- Lutein and beta-carotene, two essential nutrients for eye health
- Omega-3 fatty acids for a healthy heart
If the thought of avocado as a base to a pudding grosses you out, give it a try before you place judgment! Avocado helps to yield a creamy texture to this pudding; and the rich, chocolate flavor comes from raw cacao, a superfood with quite the long laundry list of health benefits!
Health benefits of raw cacao :
- Contains 14 times the amount of antioxidants than red wine and 21 times the amount found in green tea
- Fights free radicals and environmental pollutants, helping to ward off cancers and signs of aging
- Is rich in flavonoids – which studies have revealed contain anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti- viral, and anti-allergenic properties.
- Contains essential minerals such as magnesium, calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium and manganese
- Is an excellent source of magnesium, which plays a vital role in the proper functioning of the heart, digestive system, brain and bones
- Provides vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B9 and E
- Contains an essential heart healthy fat, oleic acid
Learn more about the cacao powder benefits here!
This pudding is rich, creamy and full of chocolate flavor, plus it provides a healthy boost of nutrients! What more could you want from a dessert?
Raw Cacao Pudding
- 1 avocado, large
- 3-4 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1/4 cup raw, local honey
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or high powered blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust cacao and honey as needed.
- Place in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld.
- Once the pudding has chilled, serve into bowls and enjoy!
- Make this pudding raw as well as vegan by substituting maple syrup for the honey.
- This pudding is thick enough to be used in place of commercial puddings in dishes such as trifles, tarts, and pies.
- Though healthy, avocados are high in calories, so this pudding should be consumed conservatively and as part of a well rounded diet.