Most desserts are loaded with processed ingredients, unhealthy fats and far too much sugar – not something that you should be consuming on a daily basis. Does that mean you can’t have dessert every evening? Of course not!
Unlike the processed chocolate cups you find in stores, these Chocolate Superfood Cups are made from wholesome ingredients that not only taste great but also provide nutrition for your body. It’s the best of both worlds!
The primary ingredients that make up these Chocolate Superfood Cups are coconut oil, raw cacao powder and almond butter.
Coconut oil is a true superfood – it can be used in so many different ways, both internally and topically, and provides countless benefits for the body. Unlike long chain fatty acids, coconut oil is made up of medium chain fatty acids, which are:
- Easier to digest
- Not readily stored as fat
- Anti-microbial and anti-fungal
- Small in size, thus available for immediate energy for the brain and body
- Processed by the liver and immediately converted into energy instead of being stored as fat.
When consumed, coconut oil can help to improve memory and brain function, boost endurance and energy, fight Alzheimer’s, improve the digestive system and stomach ulcers, and boost the immune system. And that’s not even all of the benefits it provides!
Similar to coconut oil, raw cacao is another stand out superfood that can do wonders for the body. Unlike processed cocoa that is combined with milk and sugar to create chocolate bars, raw cacao is chocolate in its purest, unprocessed form.
Rich in flavanols, anti-inflammatory antioxidants that protect the heart, raw cacao powder may help to protect against cardiovascular disease, stroke and improve circulation. Raw cacao also contains polyphenols, antioxidants that can help to reduce the levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
Other benefits of raw cacao powder:
- It helps to thin blood and may prevent blood clots
- Can prevent premature aging due to its antioxidant content
- Balances mood
Though chocolate might not always be the healthiest option, it’s health benefits increase drastically when the primary source is raw cacao.
- Over 20 amino acids, including 8 essential amino acids
- 20 free form fatty acids
- Vitamins B, C and E
- And much more!
Known as an adaptogen, maca helps the body respond to stressors that affect it adversely, thus balancing things like mood and hormones. It’s also a great source of nutrition!
Chocolate Superfood Cups
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1-2 teaspoon maple syrup [if needed]
- goji berries
- cacao nibs
- Line a mini muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
- In a bowl, microwave together the almond butter and coconut oil for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until smooth. Stir in cacao powder, maca powder and maple syrup, if desired.
- Fill each mini muffin liner ¾ full. Sprinkle with toppings of choice.
- Place tray in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden. Remove from freezer and remove the liners. Place chocolate cups into a tupperware and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
Now that you have the recipe for these simple Chocolate Superfood Cups, there’s no need to have to pass on dessert again!