Oatmeal makes for a fine breakfast, however if you are looking for a breakfast that offers just a bit more nutrients, then we’ve got the recipe for you!
This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is not only incredibly delicious and filling, but it is also chock full of essential nutrients. It’s main star, quinoa, provides the bulk of the nutrition while raw cacao powder and cacao nibs provide important antioxidants.
Quinoa is a super seed. Though most consider quinoa to be a grain due to the way it is cooked, it is in fact a pseudo-cereal. Naturally gluten-free and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids, quinoa is packed with fiber as well as vitamins and minerals. In fact, quinoa contains twice as much fiber as the grains it is most often compared to. Fiber is an essential nutrient in that it helps to lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels, lowering your risk for heart disease as well as aiding in potential weight loss.
It is in the area of vitamins and minerals that quinoa really shines. High in magnesium, manganese and B2, quinoa also contains lysine and iron. The inclusion of lysine is what helps make quinoa a complete protein – most other plant foods lack essential amino acids such as lysine and thus cannot be considered a complete protein. With 8 grams of plant protein per cup, quinoa is a fantastic source of complete protein for vegetarians and vegans who need to find protein from sources other than meat and dairy.
Raw Cacao Powder – Chocolate in its purest form
Raw cacao powder is what nature intended chocolate to be – rich in antioxidants and other health-boosting essentials. Unfortunately, most chocolate and cocoa powder we know today has been stripped of its nutrients through chemical processing and roasting. It is said that the processing of cacao can remove anywhere from 60% to 90% of its antioxidants, not to mention all of the other nutrients that are lost.
A few highlights of the benefits of raw cacao:
- It contains 40 times the amount of antioxidants as blueberries
- Contains the highest content of plant-based iron in the world
- Offers more calcium than cow’s milk
- Is one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium
- Rich in flavonoids
- And so much!
Cacao is the purest form of chocolate there is, providing that rich and delicious chocolate flavor along with an abundance of nutrients for the body.
We combine both superfoods, quinoa and cacao, in this delicious Quinoa Breakfast Bowl to supply you with a rich, chocolate breakfast that is full of nutrients. With plant-based protein to keep you satisfied throughout the morning, and antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to boost your health, your breakfast will never be the same again!
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups coconut milk, lite
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- banana slices
- cacao nibs
- Add quinoa, coconut milk and a pinch of sea salt to a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender and fluffy.
- Once quinoa is tender, remove from heat and stir in cacao powder, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- To serve, drizzle quinoa with extra coconut milk or almond milk, top with banana slices and cacao nibs. May be enjoyed cold or warm.