L-ascorbic acid or commonly known as vitamin C is an essential nutrient that the human body needs. It works as an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damages caused by free radicals. It also aids in iron absorption in the body and helps the immune system to function accordingly to protect the body against harmful diseases. Vitamin C is also needed by the body to make collagen, a protein necessary to help wounds heal.
Vitamin C are commonly found in many fruits and vegetables such as oranges, grape, red and green pepper, kiwi fruit, broccoli, strawberries, cantaloupe, baked potatoes, and tomatoes. Vitamin C are also found in food and beverages, and dietary supplements. One of the best source of vitamin C are multivitamins or other related drugs that are fortified with vitamin C. Other forms of vitamin C includes sodium ascorbate, calcium ascorbate, mineral ascorbate, or ascorbic acid with bioflavonoids. Study shows that vitamin C is eliminated in the body every twelve hours so it is recommended to take vitamin C everyday. Regularly taking vitamin C could not lead to an overdose but some individuals are taking high does of vitamin C could possibly lead to an overdose and further complications arise. According to The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library, the recommended vitamin C dosage is 2,000 mg or 2 grams per day.
Some of the common symptoms of vitamin C overdose includes:
One of the most frequent symptom of vitamin c oversdose is diarrhea. A consumption of more than 2,000 mg or 2 grams of vitamin C everyday could lead to a severe gastrointestinal irritation and other digestive tract discomfort. An prolonged episodes of diarrhea could can lead to dehydration. A person who suffers from dehydration will experience, fatigue, thirsting, low urine output, and low blood pressure. Diarrhea can also develop electrolyte imbalance.
Too much intake of vitamin C can increase the risk of oxalate-type kidney stone formation. When you take vitamin C, your body metabolizes it to form a substance known as oxalate. Oxalate when combined with calcium can accrete to calcium oxalate kidney stones, a common kind of kidney stones. Some of the oxalate in the body is then veiled in urine, the oxalate level goes high if the levels of vitamin C also increases, some of the excess oxalate comes out of solution and forms deposits referred to as kidney stones.
Taking high amount of vitamin C can also lead to an iron overload in the body, this condition is known as hemochromatosis. It is a disease in which too much iron is stocked in the body. Excessive amount of iron in the body can poison your body’s organ especially the liver, heart, and pancreas. This disease could lead to a more complicated condition such as severe organ dysfunction.
Frequent urination is also considered as one of the symptoms of vitamin C overdose. Too much intake of vitamin C can act as diuretic. Always consult your doctor if your have past kidney condition when taking vitamin C.
Migraine or headaches is frequently associated with taking high dose of vitamin C, it also comes with dizziness, light-headedness, and fainting.